A slightly botched upload later, we can now reveal Revenge of the Titans 1.72.1 is now ready for download. Slightly botched, as in I rolled a natural 1 for nearly every single upload and uploaded truncated duffers as I slumbered last night, and spent the morning panicking uploading new ones. If you got a broken one, you’d probably best download again!
This will be the last patch this year – Chaz and I are going to take some time off for Christmas starting tomorrow, so support and blog approvals may be intermittent.
Humble Bundlers: your download links from www.humblebundle.com will now download the new 1.72.1 version! Please grab as soon as you can!
- Fixed: if you complete the campaign, survival mode crashes fairly quickly
- Fixed: Linux shellscript now allows parameters to be passed to it
- Fixed: Disable DBus/SCIM in Linux shellscript so keyboard works on Linux more often
- Fixed: Commandline args now accepted by the Windows executable
- Fixed: Flying gids flying nowhere in particular bug
- Fixed: Turrets not shooting at targets bug
New Features and Enhancements
- Pickups don’t tick when fast forwarding
- You can now go back and play any level without fear of it capping your campaign progress at that point
- Silence game when minimised
- Added a few more crystals to the game to make it a little easier
- Secretly force easier difficulty after repeated failure
- Hint: no need to sell everything at end of level
- Updated nag text to reflect the fact we’re no longer in beta
- Increase max sprites to 30000
- Attempted to improve mouse grab/ungrab behaviour on alt-tab
- Particle effects offscreen misbehaving – now working properly
- Turrets now simply target closest gidrah once more
- Flying gids now accelerate linearly instead of exponentially
- Flying gids retarget upon reaching the other side of the map
Linux users can now pass arguments to revenge.sh as promised to alter the window sizes or viewport in fullscreen mode. I’ve attempted to make Alt-Tab mouse grabbing a little more friendly. A lot of people have had success getting the game to run fine using the free open source drivers for their cards. If the game instantly crashes, crashes during loading, crashes when clicking on a button, or crashes a few seconds into playing, this is your problem.
Windows users can now do the same by adding arguments to their shortcuts in the same manner as Linux users.
Mac users should be aware you need Java 5 or 6 to run Revenge of the Titans. Some Macs are still inexplicably using Java 1.4 which is ancient. If you see that the dock icon just bounces for a few seconds and then does nothing, this is your problem.
Sound problems: we finally found out the issue on Windows at least: it turns out that a lot of systems have an OpenAL32.dll tucked away in their Windows system folders, and this interferes with our own DLL loading. It doesn’t help that the one you already have probably isn’t very good! The cure is to rename any OpenAL32.dlls you find in your system directories to something other than “.dll” so they can’t be loaded.
Other Things Of Note
You can now go back and play a level again in order to get more money or better medals without losing your progress later. Got enough grief about this that I was certain whatever rationale I had behind the way it used to be was wrong! So now it’s fixed.
I’ve hopefully fixed the “flying gidrahs on Titan ignoring the base” bug but I haven’t had time to test it. Please check them out!
Turrets are back to simply targeting the closest alien. This behaviour may be slightly irritating but it’s far more consistent and easier to predict what your guns are going to shoot at simply based on range.
We’ve made the game a little bit easier in a couple of ways but the way you’ll notice most is there’s a tiny bit more money available as you progress. You’ll have to start a new campaign to notice I expect.
PLEASE use the blog to send suggestions and other comment-worthy stuff! I’ve literally had 100 lengthy emails to read through in our support box and reply to in person and it slows down support loads for people who actually need the support to get the game to run. In a similar vein, PLEASE read the support FAQs! It is almost certainly the case that if the game won’t run you just need new graphics drivers, and I can say that with 99% certainty.
Revenge of the Titans is not in the Ultrabundle!
Stuff Still To Come
In the new year I’ll be investigating a commandline switch to store all your settings in a specified directory, allowing you to point it at Dropbox and then sync your game between OSes and computers.
The game will be coming to Steam, probably in late January / early February, and existing customers should be able to transfer to Steam if you want, in the same manner as the Humble Indie Bundle.
I’m investigating a new gameplay where you don’t have to click on refineries or turrets any more, and it’s all automated.
I’m investigating the possibility of making research free, and adding another bunch of things to research. This is a lengthy process as Chaz has to redesign the whole research GUI for this.
We’d like to have online hiscores for the Survival mode times
We’d also like to add more configuration parameters for Survival mode, such as difficulty, map size, and crystal spawn rate.
That’s all for now, and I hope everyone has a lovely Titan-bashing Christmas!