Another mid-week patch of Revenge of the Titans, to v1.80.10, with a special nerfing just to annoy Sylen, who posts on this blog from time to time. Several annoying bugs fixed, including a couple of fundamental ones; and some further tweaks to balance involving heavy weapons, which were still way too powerful most of the time.
The stockpile limit’s been slashed to 5 units, which is easily enough, if you’re honest with yourself, provided you’re careful about not getting them blown up. And merely placing them makes the gidrahs… upset. Which should spice things up a little. This gave me the opportunity to put in a nice little side-effect for decoys, which now actually make the gidrahs less angry. This rather makes them a very, very important building, now.
This version is currently wrangling its way into Steam. We sort of missed our launch window so we’re just waiting for Valve to basically switch it on – it’s uploaded, it works, it’s all ready to rock n roll. Puppygames customers will be able to request a Steam key to get the Steam version of the game (which is actually of course almost identical to the Puppygames one). Likewise Humble Bundlers. I don’t actually know how this process works yet mind so bear with me whilst we work out how.
- Fixed: got rid of that annoying “missing sellMode.buffer” message in the error log
- Fixed:  available in mini-build panel for buildings that aren’t limited
- Fixed: droids accidentally were targeting big gidrahs preferably to gidlets
- Fixed: gidlet could get paralysed by being in same map tile as a building without actually colliding with it causing level to never end
- Fixed: online hiscores going a bit screwy (serverside fix)
- Fixed: fullscreen scrolling using the mouse when using custom viewport
- Use of heavy weapons, droids and shield generators makes the gidrahs cross
- Decoys now calm the gidrahs down
- Heavy weapons stockpiles now limited to 5
New Features and Enhancements
- New icons!
- Droids less likely to target big gidrahs or bosses deliberately if there are easier targets around
- Wraiths no longer harmed by stray bullets unless you’ve got xray tech
- Tactical gidrahs now more agitated by heavy weapons
- Droids now only scan for opportunity targets every second
- Changed Windows memory parameters slightly (64m initial heap, 256m max)
- Removed an unintentional recursion in gidrah movement AI
- Gidlets now whizz about randomly when they reach their target tile to help them hit things
- Gidrahs now removed automatically after 5 seconds of reaching their target tile without any action
I’d quite like to put this in at some point down the line. Any suggestions for how you’d like it to work? Maybe we can collectively design a few new game modes instead of just the one. I’m quite keen on exploring the idea of a mode which allows you to upload hand-crafted ASCII maps and a set of available buildings, for other people to play against and either try to survive a set number of aliens, or play against the clock like Survival mode for hiscores. Quite complicated though and unlikely to earn any money… or maybe… horrors! … we should issue it as the dreaded DLC and sell it for a couple of bucks? That’d help fund it.