“Earthlings! Some of you are still attempting to thwart our awesome might using your puny version 1.0 turrets! Perhaps you would fare better if you downloaded the new 1.1 release and installed it over the top of your old and busted version!”
Things which have Changed
- Mouse scroll speed is now fixed
- Slightly more useful mouse speed adjustment range (default position 3 of 10)
- The gidrahs do not start their advance until you place your first refinery. Go and make a cup of tea, look around, maybe place a few defences in strategical locations!
- Going back a few levels to try a different tactic now works as you’d expect it to
- You now get a bonus for recycling at the end of a level: your buildings are all sold for 40% of their original purchase price, scaled by their remaining hit points, to the nearest 50$. This is paving the way for the SELL BUILDING button which will appear with the Mars update at the end of June.
- …but now the integrity bonus of the Moon base is smaller to compensate
- The earlier levels will be ever so slightly harder than they were before
- The game now ends at the end of the Moon (registered or not) because it’s a bit pointless playing any further at this stage, as Mars and so forth are completely unfinished placeholders!
- Hopefully the Mac crash when you place a refinery is fixed. But without a Mac to test it on I won’t know until you bug me.
We’ve been carefully listening to all the feedback we can find on the whole internet and subtly planning modifications of various sorts that will come with the Mars levels.
A fair few people have commented on the amount of clicking you’ve got to do in the game. You should know the following things:
- You can click and drag when harvesting refineries, reloading, and building! Mouse down, wiggle all over factories, release, done. Likewise you can paint a line of turrets or reload them all.
- Every button on the UI has a shortcut key. The three most useful ones are R, to go to the next empty turret; E, to go to the next full refinery; and Q, to take you straight to your base. TAB will fast forward the action in dull moments.
- Right-click on a building to select that sort of building in build mode. No need to hunt around in the little icons if you can see another such building already on the screen.
- The game evolves over time. It will eventually become impossible for you to manually deal with harvesting all your refineries and reloading your turrets. Certain avenues of research will glean you buildings that will do the job for you. The game evolves from a micromanagement cross between Cake Mania and tower defence into a macro management and strategical game.
Another few tips you might want to know, if you’re struggling with the difficulty sometimes:
- Build as many refineries as can possibly fit around all the crystals you can find. It only takes two full harvests to make $100 profit!
- If you get owned, replay the level. It will be a bit easier next time around. If you’re really at a dead end, go back a level or two by going back to the title screen – your progress is preserved at each level (until you go back levels)
- Level 18 is hard. Be prepared! Make sure you’ve got plenty of money before you start it. Maybe skip a level of research.