… this is just an intermediary release which we weren’t really planning to do, but in true Puppygames style we missed our deadline and haven’t quite finished Titan yet. So instead I thought I’d just wrap up the various tweaks and bugfixes that are otherwise ongoing whilst Titan bakes in the oven.
Here are the direct uncached links for you blog-following sorts:
The Debian packages should hopefully install with a doubleclick, and put a shortcut in your applications menu under Games. If in doubt about whether to use Debian or not… well, you probably shouldn’t be using Linux 🙂 But just grab the generic Linux packages instead, and there’s a revenge.sh in there you can just double-click on to make it work. Provided you have either Sun Java or OpenJDK installed. The Debian packages will automatically install OpenJDK for you – I’ll figure out how to get it to use Sun Java if it’s already installed in the next release.
We haven’t yet tweaked the ordinary download page to include the Linux variants on it yet, so the Great Unwashed won’t know about them until Chaz does some twiddling.
Here’s what’s otherwise changed. Sorry about the blaster noises and character speech – we’re still working on them, and the sounds in there are just placeholders.
- Fixed: factory-not-restarting bug again
- Fixed: flickering status message when factories autocollected and turrets autoloaded
- Fixed: saturn flying gidrahs not appearing!
- Fixed: awesome medal awarded multiple times in a level
- Fixed: gidlets getting stuck on crystals
New Features and Enhancements
- Survival and Endless modes are now available to demo players too!
- Factories that shutdown with less than $10 to collect should go straight to shutdown
- Extra mines / barricades powerups no longer appear in campaign/endless mode
- Custom window sizes: pass width=xxx height=xxx on the commandline to use a custom window size (not compatible with fullscreen mode yet – sorry)
- New blaster noises! – sorry, but the old ones were of unknown provenance – still working on new ones using steel slinkies and tuning forks
- Some new ambient background sound for Saturn levels
- Linux .deb installers
- Linux .tar.gz installers
- Buffed disruptor very slightly from 16 to 24 pts damage
- Droids fire a tiny bit more frequently
- Make saturn boss a bit weedier
- Gidrah slaughter attenuation now only in effect after level ends from the state at level end
- Gidrah rush ramp-up duration now gets longer as levels progress, rather than shorter!
- Crystals a little more far-flung, and a few less crystals on Titan
- Titan colours
- Fiddled with sound attenuation parameters
- Quieter bashing sounds & building collapses now based on building size
- Fixed problem where game assumed all flying gidrahs drop bombs
- Tweaked minimum level size to ensure that (barring desktop display mode changes) levels always fit properly into a monitor
- Some new ambient background sound for Titan levels
- Fixed: Exploding gidrah bullets totally destroyed buildings in one hit!
You might be interested to know what’s on the ToDo list at the moment. Now’s your (last!) chance to add things to it!
- Fix turret targeting to use better heuristics
- Blaster noises
- Blast mine pips
- Show total medal bonus on intermission screen
- Wraith (gid 5) for Titan
- Titan gids 4, 5, and gidlets sound effects
- Titan Levels
- Titan Stories
- Don’t do building destruction noise on sale
- Get custom resolutions working with commandline parameters
- Research screen says “all researched” at the top even if not everything’s researched. (fixed this: And it’s white, too. And in the wrong place.)
- Online hiscores?
- Turret beam angle wrong?
- Linux .rpm installers?